Swedish meatballs, also known as köttbullar, are a traditional Swedish dish that is enjoyed all around the world. The dish consists of small meatballs made from a mixture of ground beef and pork that are seasoned with spices such as allspice and nutmeg, then cooked and served with a rich, creamy gravy.
Swedish meatballs are often served with lingonberry jam, a tart, and slightly sweet fruit preserve that complements the flavors of the meatballs and gravy. Mashed potatoes and a side of vegetables such as green beans or carrots are also common accompaniments to Swedish meatballs
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
For the gravy:
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork, breadcrumbs, milk, chopped onion, egg, salt, allspice, nutmeg, and black pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Shape the meat mixture into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter.
- Place the meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the meatballs in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until they are cooked through and lightly browned.
- While the meatballs are cooking, make the gravy. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is lightly browned.
- Gradually whisk in the beef broth and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the heavy cream and soy sauce and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the gravy thickens, about 5-10 minutes.
- Season the gravy with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the meatballs are done, transfer them to the saucepan with the gravy and gently stir to coat them in the sauce.
- Serve the Swedish meatballs hot, with lingonberry jam, mashed potatoes, and a side of vegetables if desired.
Enjoy your delicious Swedish meatballs!
Leave a Reply