Chicken Parmesan, also known as Chicken Parmigiana, is a classic Italian-American dish made of breaded chicken breasts topped with tomato sauce and melted cheese. It is usually served with pasta or salad.
To prepare Chicken Parmesan, chicken breasts are pounded thin, coated in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs, and then fried until golden brown. The chicken is then topped with tomato sauce and cheese and baked until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Mozzarella is the most commonly used cheese for this dish, but other cheeses like provolone or parmesan can also be used.
Here is a recipe for preparing chicken parmesan:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, beat the eggs. In a third shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Dip each chicken breast into the flour, shaking off any excess. Then dip it into the beaten egg, and finally, coat it with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing the mixture onto the chicken to make it adhere.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken breasts to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Transfer the chicken breasts to a baking dish. Spoon the marinara sauce over each chicken breast, and top each with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the chicken parmesan for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Garnish with chopped fresh basil leaves and serve hot. You can serve it with pasta or a salad if you like.
Enjoy your homemade chicken parmesan!